I strive to make individual psychotherapy client-centered, tailored specifically for you and with you. I will work with you to find the best approach for your individual situation and goals. As my client in individual therapy, you will be the sole focus during our sessions, and we will collaborate to develop and achieve your goals. In individual psychotherapy, you control most of the pacing, approaches used, balance of analysis or feedback, and timing of sessions. The therapist’s expertise for guidance is supplemented by your own intuition and views.
Some additional advantages of individual psychotherapy, in comparison to group, are:
- It is an easier confidential alliance to maintain than in group therapy.
- The connection between a therapist, which research claims is key to successful therapy, is the strongest.
- It can support accelerated development of self-awareness when compared to group work.
- Greater flexibility in scheduling and arrangements.
Some disadvantages of individual psychotherapy are:
- Typically, it is more expensive than group psychotherapy.
- No other client is present to relate or to “see” your issues in theirs.
- There is no safe space for testing newly gained skills other than with your therapist, while group therapy offers a safe place to test your new skills.
If you think individual psychotherapy is right for you, please reach out to me today to arrange for an assessment for individual therapy or to schedule your first appointment.